Thursday, December 16, 2010

Gnome Snack Mats

Gnome Snack Mat

I love crafting with felt!

The creative possibilities are endless when you get going with it *grin*. In the winter edition of Rhythm of the Home is an article on making snack mats and I just fell in love with the idea of a special little mat for each child to enjoy a snack on :) So out came my giant stash of felt and linen fabrics and I set to work cutting out little Tomten.

Gnome Snack mat

Applique is sort of like a jigsaw puzzle as your fit your pieces together, overlapping edges, stitching them together...

Gnome Snack Mat

and watching the images appear :)

The original pattern called for a 7 x 9 inch square of linen but I decided to make it slightly larger at 8 x 10 inches because my tree and gnomes were a little bit larger than I had anticipated *grin*. Another thing that I did differently was that I stitched all of my felt pieces onto one single layer of linen so that all of my stitch work on the backside would be nicely hidden inside the layers of the mat and not visible on the backside of my finished mat like in the pattern. I just thought it looked tidier that way if someone happened to flip it over to check it out as all of the little stitched pieces made for quite a jumble :)

Gnome Snack Mat

I just love how they turned out!
So far I have just finished these two but I have one more boy gnome cut out and ready to be sewn and then I will have one for each of the children. I just know they are going to go crazy over them :)

Hugs,
Rosina



Looking for more crafty ideas or inspiration? Pop over to Natural Suburbia's Creative Friday and see what others are up to :)


10 comments:

Stacy said...

Hi Rosina! Thanks for stopping by my blog. I like your felt snack mats, they are so sweet. I love crafting with felt, too, but can only sew by hand. Happy holidays to you and your family!

Jennifer Hoots said...

So, or should I say, sew pretty!

Amy Friend said...

Those are so sweet! I bet your kids will be thrilled!

Gramerly said...

adorable

Andria said...

That is such a clever idea, beautiful as well. Thank you for sharing.

nunu said...

these are adorable and i need to learn how to sew when i get back to the states! those cookies are a great looking snack too.

Cheryl said...

Oh no, those are so sweet. Now I need to win some time to make snack mats. Prefereably covered with gnomes. Love the design you went with.

Unknown said...

oh so cute...I love gnomes... Mica

Karen Sue said...

Very cute. I packed a box today, mailed it and was so pleased with myself until I got home, turned around and saw the mug rug still beside the sewing machine!! OOPS~~! Goes into a card envelope on Monday!!

Heather said...

A snack mat - what a great idea. Yours turned out so nicely that I have a feeling I wouldn't want to serve snacks on it in case it got grubby, I 'd want to display it on the wall instead. ;-)