Friday, August 20, 2010

Garden Fresh Pizza ~ Recipe

simple pizza

When lunch time rolls around at our house I like to keep it quick and simple but still provide something nutritious. So I came up with a great way to make a pizza using fresh tomatoes, peppers & basil from the garden with a toasted tortilla for a crispy flat crust :)

So quick, so easy and oh so tasty!

simple pizza

To start I toss my plain tortillas in the oven at 400 degrees Fahrenheit and toast them until they start to go slightly golden and firm. This only takes a couple of minutes so keep an eye on them or they will burn, trust me I know *grin*.

This provides a firm base for you pizza plus the toasting keeps the tortilla from going soggy when you top it with all of your fresh tomatoes! With your toasted tortillas finished put down a layer of sliced tomatoes over each tortilla and then top with your favorite vegetables and tons of fresh basil.

I had a left over sausage from dinner so I sliced it thinly and put a few slices on each pizza along with red peppers, red onions, our basil and some shredded asiago cheese, popped it back into the hot oven for just a couple of minutes to melt the cheese and that's it.

Slice each tortilla up into wedges and enjoy a slice of garden fresh pizza! YUM :)

PS. Check out the Wholesome Whole Foods and Food Renegade weekly link up for more great recipes and articles :)

Bon appetit!

~ Rosina

3 comments:

bodyhacker said...

Your Garden Fresh Pizza looks delicious! Thanks for sharing.

Not sure if you ever tried La Tortilla Low Cal / Low Carb Wraps - they are fantastic. Only 50 cals for smaller tortillas and 80 for large ones. They are perfect for tortilla pizzas.

Thanks again for great recipe!

Melynda@Scratch Made Food! said...

Great idea, especially when my granddaugher comes to visit. Thanks.

Rosina {Rosy ~ Posy} said...

Bodyhacker: Thanks so much for the tip on using low carb wraps. I think there are weight watcher ones to for those of you that are following a plan like that as well :)

Melynda: I so glad you like my garden pizza :) Have fun making & eating it with your granddaughter when she visits!