Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Inspiration ~ Foil Christmas Light Reflectors

When my husband and I were first married we didn't have a lot of ornaments for our tree, but his mother had a couple of boxes full of vintage Christmas lights and ornaments that were left behind by previous owners. They had been collecting dust in one of the closets for quite a few years and she gave them all to me! Thus began my love affair with Christmas ornaments *grin*. Some of my favorites are the glass ones in the shapes of acorns, pinecones, houses, and the most beautiful birds with long flowing tails that clip onto the tree branches.


With the revival of all things vintage this year I thought that it would be fun to do something different with our advent calendar. I was inspired by the metallic foil reflectors that they used to use behind the Christmas tree lights to add additional light and glitter to their decorations. I found some great silver metallic tuille that I gathered and layered with a finer blue tuille on top to create the the look of some of the flower or scalloped reflectors that you can find in vintage collections. I couldn't resist adding different colored buttons that I had found at a thrift store for the centers as a replacement for actual lights. What fun!

~Rosina

No comments: